Monday, September 14, 2015

George Orwell 1984

George Orwell in his book 1984 describes a society in which people's lives were controlled
every second of the day by cameras and microphones.

His protagonist is Winston Smith who lives in Oceania and dreams a better life in which governments, Big Brother and the Thought Police could not rob people of their natural feelings, so family and romantic love could exist,and people of Oceania shouldn't change their feelings into a love of Big Brother and hate for imagined enemies.

Winston and his love Julia commit a thought and a love crime,but they've been caught by the Police and tortured. Winston finally betrayed his love to Julia and at the same time himself in his try to survive in that awful society which obligated his inhabitants to live into the hate and the control of Big Brother.

In my opinion, George Orwell is a timeless writer because many goverments are slowly taking control over people and there are cameras almost everywhere and computers have information about almost all the people.

But I believe that the most difficult thing for the protagonist was to accept to live and be part of that society, helpless to resist to the power of the authorities. At the same time, I wonder if people are becoming more and more similar in their dreams and desires.....

This is what the government said to the people.

3 comments:

  1. Great ideas, Voula! You understood the hidden messages very well. I almost cried when I read your summary! I also added a photograph which I hope you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why but that book makes me feel sth which I can't explain.I really love it and the foto which you added is one of my best.thanks for giving me 1984 book it was really great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since you are such a book lover, I am going to give you many more books hehe! Bravo once again Voula!!!!

    ReplyDelete